In partnership with Lottoland, William Hill have launched a “Planet Lottery” platform as part of their wagering website.
William Hill Planet Lottery is a product offered by William Hill Australia where you can bet on the outcome of lotteries around the world. You pick your numbers in the same way as if you were buying a ticket for the official lottery draw. The payouts are the same too, however instead of entering the draw, you are actually placing a bet on the outcome of the draw.
This service is available to Australian clients only, excluding those who live in South Australia.
November 2017 Update
From the 30th of November 2017, William Hill no longer accepts bets on the outcome of the Australian Lotteries due to regulatory changes. Anyone who wishes to buy Australian lottery tickets online should use Oz Lotteries, which is an accredited online retailer of Australian lotto games.
Note that William Hill Planet Lottery continues to offer international lotteries.
What is Planet Lottery?
Planet Lottery is a section of the William Hill website that enables you play lotteries from around the world. Some of the headline overseas offerings are the US Powerball and US MegaMillions, with jackpots that can exceed $1 billion, and the Euromillions, with jackpots that can exceed $100 million.
Planet Lottery is not a lottery agency. It instead operates like a bookmaker, taking bets on the outcomes. When you have a winning ticket it is their Partner Lottoland (through EU Lotto) that pays you out rather than the underlying lottery agency. They purchase insurance policies to ensure that they can payout in the event that a member wins a jackpot.
Planet Lottery does not have any relationship or affiliation with the operators of any of the lotteries listed on its website.
How to play
To play you select a draw and use the boxes to fill in numbers, much like you would at a newsagent. At the bottom of the form the total cost of the entry is automatically updated as you fill in more boxes.
If you fill in more than the standard quantity of numbers for a box the system will automatically create entries using every combination of the numbers you have chosen. For example if you select 8 numbers for a Saturday Lotto (6 numbers normally selected), the system will create all 28 combinations of the numbers you have chosen.
You select Place Bet when you are done.
How are winnings received?
Winnings are credited to your William Hill Betting Account once the bet has been settled. The time-frame of this will depend on the amount you have won:
- Winnings of up to $100k will be credited in accordance with William Hill Australia’s Betting Rules
- For any winnings above $100k you will be contacted by William Hill to confirm when you will receive your winnings
Any winnings from lottery bets can be used to place further Lottery, Racing or Sports bets on the William Hill Australia site or apps.
At this point you cannot earn William Hill Rewards Points for bets placed on William Hill Planet Lottery.
Who is the partner Lottoland?
You’ve likely seen Lottoland advertisements on TV. They sell the same lottery tickets directly through their own website. The pricing is the same for Lottoland as Planet Lottery, however the promotions can vary.
Lottoland Limited is based in Gibraltar and was established in 2013. The Australian website was launched in 2015 and is operated by Lottoland Australia Pty Ltd (ABN 14 602 590 429). The Australian service is licensed and regulated by the Northern Territory Government. Lottoland has a Northern Territory office at 3/18 Bishop Street, Woolner NT 0820 and registered office at Suite 501, 120 Sussex Street, Sydney, NSW 2000.
Lottoland is responsible for the placing of bets on the results of lotteries with their partner, EU Lotto. EU Lotto Ltd is licensed by the Government of Gibraltar to accept Bets on lotteries (licence number RGL 066). EU Lotto is also officially licensed by the UK Gambling Commission to offer Remote General Betting Standard – Real Event and Casino activities under licence number 38991. EU Lotto’s registered company number is 109514 (REID GICO 109514-83).
Planet Lottery upsides
- Planet Lottery offers the convenience of being able to use the same funds to place sports bets, racing bets and lottery bets. You don’t have to use two separate services and verify your ID twice.
- The service enables Australians to participate in overseas mega jackpot lotteries
Planet Lottery downsides
- The service is not available to residents of South Australia
Fans of the mega international lotteries should definitely give Planet Lottery a look because the service is feature-rich and competitively priced. To the best of our knowledge it is the only Australian-licensed service that provides the convenience of using the same funds to place lotto, racing and sports bets. The service also enables Australians to participate in the mega jackpots in the United States and Europe. When it comes to Australian lotteries, however, the drawback is you aren’t supporting public funding programs by purchasing tickets through them rather than through a licensed retailer like a newsagent or Oz Lotteries.
Terms and conditions
It’s worthwhile checking out Planet Lottery’s terms and conditions. Just like Lottoland, with William Hill Planet Lottery acts as an agent for EU Lotto with respect to the placement of a Bet.
- When submitting a Bet on the outcome of draws of lotteries, the Player instructs William Hill to forward the Bet to EU Lotto for and on the Player’s behalf. EU Lotto will then act as a bookmaker for the Player.
- When a Player places a Bet with EU Lotto through William Hill as its agent, the Player enters a contract with EU Lotto. That contract regulates the terms and conditions for all Bets placed, the rules of the games offered by EU Lotto as well as the payout of Winnings.
- By placing a Bet, the Player accepts the EU Lotto terms and conditions as amended from time to time, and found at: www.lottoland.com.au/terms
- EU Lotto acts as a bookmaker, determines the odds, calculates the Winnings and is responsible for the payment of Winnings and pays out the Winnings to William Hill for distribution to Players. Through hedging measures and instruments (all wins are fully guaranteed with jackpots underwritten by major insurance firms), EU Lotto is solely responsible for and guarantees the payout of all jackpots and Winnings offered by EU Lotto through William Hill as its agent.
- William Hill distributes to Players only those Winnings, which were paid out by EU Lotto to William Hill for the Player. William Hill is only obliged to credit Winnings to a Player Account if (i) William Hill received the Winnings from EU Lotto and (ii) the Player is entitled to a Winning.
- The Player acknowledges that William Hill acts as agent for EU Lotto. Save to the extent permitted by law (and only to such an extent), William Hill excludes all warranties (express or implied) relating to its operation as agent for EU Lotto and the placing of a Bet on behalf of the Player with EU Lotto and shall not have any liability for the non-payment of Winnings (unless such Winnings are first paid to William Hill by EU Lotto for distribution to the Player) or any direct, indirect or consequential loss, damage, expense or injury suffered by the Player.
- The website is operated by William Hill. William Hill and EU Lotto Limited are bookmakers, and neither is a lottery operator. You cannot purchase entries in any lottery via William Hill or EU Lotto. Bets do not contribute to the prize pool. EU Lotto allows you to bet on the outcome of lotteries from around the world. When submitting a bet on the outcome of draws of lotteries, you instruct William Hill to forward the bet to EU Lotto on your behalf. EU Lotto then acts as a bookmaker in respect of the placement of your bet. William Hill does not have any relationship or affiliation with the operators of any of the lotteries referred to in its website. When you place a bet with EU Lotto through William Hill as its agent, you enter a contract with EU Lotto and accept their terms and conditions. That contract regulates the terms and conditions for all bets placed, the rules of the games offered by EU Lotto as well as the payout of Winnings by EU Lotto. Payouts are made in AUD, exchange rates apply.