This page provides a one-stop reference for betting agencies that are suitable for Australians. The agencies listed here all offer Australian dollar accounts. Agencies fall into two categories: bookmakers and exchanges. Bookmakers are agencies that set the odds and you bet against the agency. With exchanges, the odds are determined by fellow users within a marketplace, so you bet against fellow users. Bookmakers are recommended for beginners, while an exchange membership is a must have for serious enthusiasts, because it enables you to play the role of the bookmaker and bet against outcomes.
Some useful features and articles:
- The Bookmaker Reviews section features comprehensive reviews of the top betting agencies that are available to Australians.
- Bookmaker Ownership Structure in Australia outlines which companies own which bookmakers and which bookmakers are locally or foreign owned.
- The 2021 bookmaker margin survey covers both bookmaker odds and the number of markets per fixture.
If you’re in a hurry…
If you don’t wish to spend too much time choosing a bookmaker, below are our picks for the best in the following categories:
- Best for promotions and competitions – Sportsbet
- Quick to post odds for upcoming fixtures – Sportsbet, bet365
- Best for live (phone) betting – bet365
- Best betting selection – bet365, Sportsbet, Unibet
- Best racing fixed odds – bet365
- Best sports odds – bet365, Unibet
- Best for beginners – >BlueBet, PlayUp
- Best for fantasy sports – Draftstars
Frequently asked questions
- Q: I’m a beginner, should I go with a bookmaker or an exchange?
A: Go with a bookmaker
- Q: How many memberships do I need?
A: Just one if you’re a casual punter. If you’re looking for additional memberships for the benefit of odds shopping, view our latest bookmaker margin survey.
If margins are what drive you
The margin is a measure of the bookmaker’s profit for an event and can be regarded as a hidden transaction fee for punters. From a betting perspective, the lower the margin, the better.
The table displays the results from the latest bookmaker margins and markets survey.
Unibet came out on top for the number of markets per fixture.
Despite the higher margins, Sportsbet performed well when it came to frequency of offering the best odds on particular outcomes. This highlights the fact that operating with higher margins doesn’t preclude a bookmaker from offering the best odds for certain selections.
Bookmakers that are suitable for Australians
Below is a list of Australian-licensed betting agencies.
Notes and explanations of terms
- Live betting – due to the Interactive Gambling Act, bookmakers licensed in Australia cannot offer live online betting to Australian residents. Australian customers must phone in to bet live.
- Key deposit methods – other deposit methods such as cheques and Ukcash may be available, but only popular methods have been listed.
- POLi – enables you to make online bank transfers that are acknowledged immediately by the bookmaker. This feature is only available for Australian bank accounts.