A review of the bookmaker Picklebet has been updated to include their new racing service. This review is part of a series on betting agencies that are suitable for Australians. All reviews form part of the Bookmaker Reviews section on this website. A full survey of betting agencies can be found in the Betting Agencies section.
Picklebet offers fixed odds and SP markets for thoroughbreds and greyhounds. Harness racing is not yet supported. Both venues in Australia and abroad are covered.
SP (Starting Price) markets are offered in the days leading up to the race and fixed odds markets are offered on the day of the race.
The standout feature is rather than just offer win and place markets, Picklebet provides win, top 2, top 3 and top 4 fixed odds markets for every race. This provides the flexibility to back a runner in the top X market of your choosing, depending on the circumstances.
The interface employs a clean look by default. Buttons are provided to access additional features such as race previews with tips, fluctuations and speed maps.
Picklebet had not yet been reviewed at the time of our most recent bookmaker margins survey, but their fixed odds margins appear to be competitive. We frequently observed specific runners at better odds than were available at other big-name bookmakers. We will be able to elaborate more on Picklebet’s fixed odds competitiveness when we conduct the next margins survey.
Exotics such as exacta and trifecta aren’t supported, so this service wouldn’t likely work as a standalone membership for racing enthusiasts, but the offering of top 2 and top 4 markets for every race makes Picklebet a fantastic complement to a traditional bookmaker membership.
Below are the summary details.
- Picklebet is Australian-owned
- Low $0.20 minimum stake
- Competitive odds
- Top 2, top 3 and top 4 markets for racing
- Identity verification is done automatically during the sign up process
- Fast, modern interface that isn’t fatiguing on the eye
- POLi5 is accepted as a deposit method
- Can set a deposit limit during the sign up process
- Free to enter weekly pick’em contests
- Can tweak the display order of the betting categories in the Preferences section
- Strong features to assist problem gamblers, including easy access to a link to close your account
- Same-game multi betting isn’t supported
- Exotic multi betting isn’t supported
- Racing exotics aren’t supported
- Dormant account fees
- In-play phone betting isn’t supported
Picklebet was launched with a focus on esports but their sports betting service is excellent and their racing features are constantly growing. The odds are competitive and the range of markets per fixture is strong for an Australian-owned bookmaker. Some of the other highlights are the $0.20 minimum stake, the fast & modern interface and the fact that they verify your identity automatically during the sign up process. Racing enthusiasts will also appreciate the fixed odds top 2, top 3 and top 4 markets for every race.